Examination is the most common assessment and evaluation technique in educational institutes. There can be many types of exams questions e.g. multiple choice, true/false, matching, short answer, essay, and oral etc.
In normal conventional practices these exams are conducted on paper and marked by the teacher manually which makes it time consuming and full of expected human error.
With the use of computer and internet, exam procedure has been automated. Now teachers prepare question paper online, which is presented to the students on their computer systems for solution. Students attempt the questions and submit the answers online which is marked by the teacher and the results of the exams are published online. The limitation that arises during this process is the scarcity of resources (computer systems).
The solution of this problem is to utilize the mobiles phone technology. Now a days, each student has mobile with them in their classes. One can present MCQ paper to the students through GSM mobile using SMS facility.
Stakeholders of this system are:
- Faculty Member
Core features of this application are
Administrator Interface will provide the following features:
- User Management (Add, Edit, Delete, Block/Unblock and List View of Users)
- Faculty Management (Add, Edit, Delete, Block/Unblock and List View of Faculty Members)
- Course Management (Add, Edit, Delete, Block/Unblock and List View of Courses)
- Student Management (Add, Edit, Delete, Block/Unblock and List View of Students)
- Assign Course(s) of degree program to the faculty members in particular semester
- Add new Semester in the application
- Degree program management: (Add, Edit, Delete, Block/Unblock and List View of Degree programs)
- Enroll/add students to the course in particular semester of degree program.
Faculty Member Interface will provide the following features
- Create questions relevant to the subject and on lecture based.
- Create Quiz by using existing questions.
- Set flag with each quiz to restrict student access to the Quiz.
- View questions and students given answer.
- Initialize checking process of particular quiz of the course.
- View students result in a list form.
- Publish result to the students. Result will be published in student’s account and SMS will also be sent to the students.
Student’s interface will provide the following features
- View grade book and current registered courses.
- View history of Quiz and results.
- Student can login using its mobile or online interface.
- Student can send request to start paper using SMS. (GSM mobile will be used for this feature.)
- Students can answer MCQs using SMS. (GSM mobile will be used for this feature.)
- System will use Student’s mobile number and password (which will be provided in SMS) to validate and to open the session with the user.
- We will use web browser for all features mentioned above except those with which it is explicitly mentioned that this functionality will be performed using GSM mobile.