Physics (PHY101) VU of Pakistan
Assignment 4: (Fall 2012)
TOTAL MARKS: 35
Due Date: 29/01/2013
DON’T MISS THESE Important instructions:
• To solve this assignment, you should have good command over first 35 lectures.
• Plagiarism is prohibited that is why you are advised to avoid copy/paste from internet etc, if found at any stage will be graded as zero marks.
• Upload assignments (Microsoft word) properly through LMS, (No Assignment will be
accepted through email).
• Write your ID on the top of your solution file.
• All students are directed to use the font and style of text as is used in this document.
• Don’t use colorful back grounds in your solution files.
• Use Math Type or Equation Editor etc for mathematical symbols.
• This is not a group assignment, it is an individual assignment so be careful and avoid copying others’ work. If some assignment is found to be copy of some other, both will be
awarded zero marks. It also suggests you to keep your assignment safe from others. No
excuse will be accepted by anyone if found to be copying or letting others copy.
Don’t wait for the last date to submit your assignment.
Question # 1
I. Why a light wave is always transverse in nature? Marks 9 (4+5)
II. Radio signals and light waves are fundamentally different. Is it true or wrong? Justify your answer by giving a solid reason in each case.
Question # 2
I. Is it possible for electromagnetic waves to pass through a matter? If yes give examples if not explain it. Marks 11 (4+7)
II. Why is our sky blue rather than some other color? Sun as yellow rather than white and sun appears to change color when it sets in west. Give a precise answer and avoid from unnecessary explanation.
Question # 3
Why you hear a friend down the hallway calling you, even though he/she is out of your line of sight? Explain it. Marks 4
Question # 4
Is it true or wrong that if the light rays are not coherent, we would not be able to see interference? Explain it by giving an example. Marks 5
Question # 5
If the path length difference in a double-slit interference pattern equals one wavelength, the result is complete destructive interference. Is it yes or no explain in each case? Marks 6